WELLSBORO — The board of directors for Wellsboro Area School District is looking at refinancing some of its debt for potential savings.
The board adopted a resolution authorizing PFM to refinance some of its debt. According to Jamie Doyle, the PFM representative who spoke at the June 9 board meeting, market rates are at an all time low. At the current rates, the district could save up to $328,000, which could be set aside for capital improvements.
PFM will accept proposals in early July, lock in rates later that month and settle in August. No action will be taken unless the district can save at least a 2% savings, or $164,000, said Doyle. The debt will not be extended in the refinancing.
In other action, the board:
- Hired Darci Warriner as a special education learning support teacher.
- Hired Lyndsey D. Byrd as an English language arts teacher at the Rock L. Butler Middle School.
- Approved extra-curricular hires of Jeffrey Zuchowski, high school volleyball assistant coach; Jorge Taboada, high school girls soccer coach; and John Davis, high school girls basketball coach.
- Accepted the resignation of Brandon Falk, high school biology teacher at the conclusion of the 2019-20 school year.
- Appointed Patti Mitchell as a volunteer assistant for the middle school soccer team.