BLOSSBURG — Southern Tioga School District approved the hire of Bonnie Thompson to become STSD’s new business manager during a special school board meeting on Sept. 23.
Thompson, who is currently serving as business manager at Wellsboro Area School District, will receive a salary of $96,000 plus benefits.
Current business manager Kathy Ciaciulli will leave for her new position as the director of finance and operations position at York Suburban School District.
A start date for Thompson has not yet been determined.
In other business the board of directors learned that the state board of education announced on Oct. 1 that the Act 1 property tax index for 2020-21 will be 2.6%, with Southern Tioga’s adjusted rate at 3.4%.
“This is up from 3.1% from 2019-20,” said Ciaciulli said.
Ciaciulli also announced that Northern Tier Insurance Consortium met Oct. 2, and announced that they are looking at a 7.5% increase in health care costs.
“We are seeing a decrease in members, as older ones retire and younger ones come on,” she said.
“In February, we will set rates at a more permanent increase for 2020-21,” she added, “and next week I will give an update on what is the current status of employees.”
Also to be on the agenda for the Oct. 14 meeting is:
- Approval of a service agreement with McClure Company for the one-time service/check of district boilers, water heaters and pumps.
- Approval of a quote of $66,800 for roofing work at North Penn-Mansfield High School, from Boss Insulation & Roofing. The quote is more than twice as much as was budgeted, which was $25,000, but it is less than a second bid from Budget Renovations & Roofing, Inc. for $90,960.
- Snow removal bid proposals to be received by Nov. 11 for Liberty Schools. Snow removal bids for Mansfield and Blossburg were received and approved over the summer.
- Last item, two items that needed immediate attention, repairs at Liberty Elementary and the chlorination separator at North Penn-Liberty Jr. Sr. High School
- An Interstate portrait agreement for student yearbook photos.
- A dual enrollment agreement with SUNY Corning Community College.
- A memorandum of understanding with Wilkes University for an internship for a high school life skills teacher.
The next board meeting will be Monday, Oct. 14 at the Blossburg Elementary School meeting room.