Fire and emergency response organizations in Cameron, McKean and Potter counties have been awarded more than $650,000 in grants from the state, Rep. Martin Causer (R-Turtlepoint) announced last week.
“Like so many people across the state, our emergency response organizations have been hit hard financially by the COVID-19 pandemic,” Causer said. “This supplemental grant program, funded through the federal CARES Act, will help support our hard-working first responders and their mission to protect the health and safety of our communities.”
The grant program was authorized under Act 26 of 2020 and provides $50 million in CARES funding for the state’s fire and ambulance companies. The program is being administered by the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency and Office of the State Fire Commissioner.
As stated in Act 26, the money must be used for operational and equipment expenses, such as utilities, insurance, equipment repairs and personal protective equipment; to replace lost revenues due to pandemic restrictions; or to cover costs related to cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting equipment and property or other expenses incurred to prevent the spread of communicable illnesses.
Following is a list of local fire and ambulance companies and the amount of their grant awards:
- Bradford City Fire Department, Bradford – $25,342.
- Bradford Township Volunteer Fire Department, Bradford – $25,342.
- Corydon Township Volunteer Fire Department, Bradford – $23,014.
- Derrick City Volunteer Fire Department, Derrick City – $23,151.
- Eldred Borough Volunteer Fire Department, Eldred – $11,094 for fire services and $5,856 for EMS operations.
- Eldred Township Volunteer Fire Department, Eldred – $22,740.
- Hamlin Township Volunteer Fire Department No. 1 – $11,094.
- Kane Volunteer Fire Department, Kane – $22,740.
- Lafayette Township Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department, Lewis Run – $22,740.
- Lewis Run Volunteer Fire Department, Lewis Run – $22,603.
- Mount Jewett Area Ambulance Association, Mount Jewett – $15,048.
- Mount Jewett Volunteer Fire Department, Mount Jewett – $22,877.
- Norwich Township Volunteer Fire Department, Crosby – $24,384.
- Otto Township Volunteer Fire Department, Duke Center – $22,603 for fire services and $14,708 for EMS operations.
- Port Allegany Fire Department, Star Hose Company No. 1, Port Allegany – $24,931.
- Port Area Ambulance Service Inc., Port Allegany – $15,048.
- Rew Volunteer Fire Department, Rew – $22,877.
- Austin Volunteer Fire Department, Austin – $23,973 for fire services and $15,048 for EMS operations.
- Coudersport Volunteer Ambulance Association, Coudersport – $15,048.
- Coudersport Volunteer Fire Department, Coudersport – $24,657.
- Germania Fire Company, Galeton – $22,603.
- Goodyear Hose Company No. 1, Galeton – $11,094.
- Harrison Township Volunteer Fire Company, Harrison Valley – $23,836.
- Kettle Creek Hose Company No. 1, Cross Fork – $22,603.
- Roulette Chemical Engine No. 1 Inc., Roulette – $22,877 for fire services and $15,048 for EMS operations.
- Shinglehouse Volunteer Fire Department, Shinglehouse – $23,014.