Military Honor

The Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs wants to see that everyone leaving the military receives every benefit they earned with their service to America.

“Leaving the military can be a hectic time in a service member’s life, but it is important to make registering with the DMVA and applying for federal health care benefits a priority soon after transitioning to civilian life,” said Maj. Gen. (ret.) Eric Weller, deputy adjutant general for Veterans Affairs. “Hand-in-hand with applying for benefits is safeguarding military paperwork before these important documents are misplaced or lost. Not having easy access to military paperwork could cause unnecessary delays when applying for benefits years down the road.”

Veterans can sign up for the DMVA Veterans Registry by computer or mobile device at In addition to veterans, family members and people who work with veterans can sign up for the registry to receive helpful information about programs, benefits and services.

Information about how to apply for U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs health care benefits can be found by going to

Also important is for veterans to safeguard their DD-214/215 and other military documents by immediately filing them at their county courthouse of record.

The DD-214 is an official document that contains the information needed to verify military service and help to avoid verification issues later in life. The DD-215 is used to correct errors or make additions to a DD-214. These documents can also be uploaded to the Veterans Registry for safe keeping with the DMVA.

Additionally, any National Guard member who has not been ordered on active duty will not receive a DD-214.

The discharge documents for National Guard members are the NGB-22 and NGB-23.

Anyone needing assistance from the DMVA to locate their DD-214/215, or other military documentation, can call 717-861-8910 or e-mail: